I was inspired to write this after watching this video by Mixed Girl Vibe, she is pretty awesome and you can find the video here. So basically I got to thinking about me 10 – 15 years ago and the things I wish I knew. You know how they say what an elder will see siting down, a child can’t see standing up (or something like that). But seriously, I wish I knew most of the things I know now earlier, I woulda saved me a lorry-load of palaver. So younger me, listen up.
- When bike man and agbero are fighting, don’t try to mediate. Ever! A girl in that mix is never good, not good at all.
- It feels like you are not gonna get over that heartbreak, but see it will pass. You will look back on it 10 years later and laugh out loud that were even attracted to that boy. Dust off your pants and stop moping, when the gentleman that deserves you shows up, you will glad this boy didn’t stick around.
- Don’t be in such a hurry to grow up. You are way too eager to be an adult. FYI, it’s not all that it’s cranked up to be. You think now that your parents are too protective but later you will miss their protection and you will often wish for those days when you had them looking out for you and had all your sisters close by.
- In another news, you are sexy like kilode. That you are not stick thin doesn’t change that fact and any boyfriend that tells you your belly is big, punch him in the face and dump his nonsense ass. Cos, guess what, your belly is gonna get so much bigger and you will still be freaking sexy and the man who deserves you is gonna think so too. So appreciate your body, stop hating your body and stop hiding under those ugly clothes.
- Michael Jackson isn’t gonna be with us for much longer. He is gonna die at 50 and it’s gonna shock you to your bones. But hey, you’ll get over it. And you’ll find yourself another hero.
- Friday 29th September ’07, don’t take a bike. Respect yourself, maintain your chick-ness and call a cab. You won’t look too classy getting carried by your arms and legs and begging those boys to “caaarrrrryyyyyy my bombommm”.
- Relax, stop taking everything so seriously. You don’t have to read all the books, you don’t have to attend every single class, you don’t have to obey every single rule…chiiiill out and live a little. Life is what is passing by while you are waiting to graduate and start living it.
- Don’t trust a boy just cos he told you (with soulful brown eyes) that you could! Trust is for only those that have earned it, girl please!
- Young lady, you can have it all. A good career, husband and kids, be an amazing cook etc. You needn’t sacrifice something for another. You are fierce, as you will find out eventually.
- Trust God completely, He really does know the end right from the beginning. You will need to learn to take comfort from Him cos there will be times when that’s the only thing that will be sufficient for the pain.
- Life is hard, no matter how hard you try, that fact ain’t gonna change. Roll with the punches, life is gonna give you loads of lemons and you will need to learn how to make various assortment of drinks. Stop worrying so much about life issues, as you are getting out of one, another will come up. They won’t kill you, they won’t even slow you down, I promise.
- Young lady, you are gonna be just fine. So, stop worrying so freaking much, God is in your corner.
Irrespective of what I knew then or didn’t know, life has been full and colorful so far. Not only am loving my current location, I am deeply grateful for it.